Today on Radio Johnny Daniel Szuc speaks with Gerry Gaffney about his upcoming talk and workshop at UX Hong Kong this February. Gerry shares the importance of communicating more effectively to the business community about UX and the amazing trends and opportunities that are quite literally, Everyware.
…one of my favorite quotations is from the Chinese philosopher Sun Tzu who said, “time spent in reconnaissance is time seldom wasted”, reminding ourselves that we are not our users. As designers we tend to frequently fall into the error that we know our users better than they do.
Even though we have a toolkit of methods and practices that we carry out, what is more important is the philosophical underpinning of those things. Why are we doing it as individuals? Why are we doing them from our perspective? Why are we doing them from our clients’ perspective?
…urban experience, I think we really have to talk about designing cities from a user experience perspective…there is a huge need for user experience design to be applied to urban living.
Gerry discusses the need for the User Experience community to become better communicators by learning the values and ideas of our clients and not get trapped into assuming that we understand our clients without taking the time to listen for understanding, and questioning for clarity.
Gerry describes the incredible opportunities available to the UX community including the the mobile industry; our collective capacity to design and assist the elderly; the explosion of the gaming industry; and designing for children who will grow up in a world never knowing what it was like to not have instant access to global knowledge.
* Follow Gerry Gaffney on Twitter.
* Learn about others who will be presenting at the first annual UX Hong Kong conference.
* Watch videos on Flickr that Daniel Szuc put together in promotion of the conference.
* Daniel Szuc discusses the importance of learning from other cultures when designing today.
* Gerry mentions the importance of designing for children. Debra Gelman, User Experience lead at Comcast, recently spoke with Jeff Parks on the subject.
Thank you very much to our sponsors. If you would like to promote your organization on future episodes, please drop us a line!