The healthcare system is one of the most developed sectors in Germany, as up to 12.5% of GDP is invested in it annually. In addition, the country hosts the largest companies producing medicines and medical equipment, including their own developments. The cutting-edge technology, novel medications and outstanding clinical experience of doctors make it possible to treat the most complex and rare pathologies. Due to the development of medical tourism, treatment in Germany is available to non-residents, as well.
The most requested treatment options
Cancer treatment is the leading cause of seeking medical help in Germany. German hospitals offer minimally invasive and robotic surgeries instead of the open ones. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy, image-guided radiation therapy, proton therapy and local irradiation are widely used here. People with metastatic cancer can undergo novel radionuclide therapy with Lutetium-177, Lutetium-DOTATATE, and Actinium-225. People with hematologic malignancies can undergo CAR T-cell therapy. German oncologists seem to have a unique treatment for each cancer type, fighting the disease successfully.
Neurosurgery and spine surgery are in demand, as well. German orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons use minimally invasive and robotic techniques. When it comes to the replacement of intervertebral discs or vertebrae, patient-specific implants and 3D printing are used. Navigation assisted surgery helps protect the brain and spinal cord during the intervention. After the intervention patients start a rehabilitation program that facilitates the recovery and improves functional outcomes.
Cardiac surgery in German hospitals is popular among foreing patients due to minimal invasiveness and excellent long-term results. Most interventions on heart valves are carried out without any chest incisions: these are transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI), implantation of the Carillon and Mitraling systems. Interventions on coronary arteries and even treatment of myocardial infarction can be carried out the same way.
Some people visit Germany to have a check-up or to detect a rare pathology. German doctors will find the best possible solution in any clinical case.
Leading hospitals and prices for treatment
The most well-known and reputable healthcare facilities are university hospitals. The best hospitals in Germany are:
- Charite University Hospital in Berlin
- University Hospital Frankfurt-am-Main
- University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
- University Hospital Oldenburg
- University Hospital Duesseldorf
University hospitals have access to the latest medical innovations, take part in clinical trials and employ brilliant healthcare practitioners. The same time, smaller specialized medical centers may be focused on the specific areas of medicine and demonstrate even better results in the treatment of certain pathologies. This may be the case, for example, with the treatment of children.
Unlike many countries, the prices for medical services are regulated by the German legislation. The DRG system (which is Diagnosis Related Groups) includes fees for all medical interventions. Thus, the expenses will be the same for a medical tourist and a German citizen.
How to undergo treatment in Germany
Most large German hospitals are entitled to the treatment of foreign patients. However, it will be easier and safer to contact a medical tourism provider in case you are not familiar with the peculiarities of the German healthcare system.
Booking Health is the only medical tourism provider that has the prestigious ISO 9001: 2015 certificate in this field. For over 12 years the company has helped thousands of people from 75 countries to receive the necessary medical services in the leading German hospitals.
Booking Health guides you through the whole medical trip, including:
- Choosing the best hospital and physician for your case
- Giving advice on novel treatment methods
- Making appointment on the desired date, you will not be on the long waiting list
- Sending invitation for treatment, issuing a medical visa
- Providing you with medical insurance with coverage up to 200,000 EUR
- Booking tickets, accommodation, and transfer
- Translating your medical reports, so you will not need to repeat diagnostic tests
- Controlling treatment costs, excluding additional fees for foreigners
- And much more
To start planning your treatment, visit Booking Health website and fill in the “Need help” form.
- High-Performance Healthcare Software Solutions in 2022
- Why Can’t You Eat Before Surgery?
- Healthcare Sector: The Software that Schedules
- What Is The Increase In Spa Tourism?
- Lucrative Career Choices For People Interested In Facial Aesthetics
- What is Required to be a Successful Travel Nurse
- Technology of the Future￼
- How Much is Liposuction?
- Protecting yourself against nosocomial infections
- Rehabilitation and Beyond: 4 Things To Expect After Knee Surgery