Metaverse and blockchain can transform many industries, and education and land documentation are among them. These terms weren’t widely used a few years ago, and teachers wouldn’t discuss them. However, nowadays, you hear about them a lot, begging the question, “What’s going to happen with education now that crypto, metaverse, and blockchain are everywhere?”. And for a good reason!
Increasingly more students open accounts on a widely-used platform like Binance, check the current Bitcoin’s price daily, and buy, sell, or trade cryptocurrencies. It’s common to hear them share the latest news and opinions on booming digital assets. Blockchain and the metaverse are also hot topics to discuss, making students want to learn more about them and be better prepared when similar subjects come around.
And the employees in the educational systems are not spared by the ongoing hype also, with professors being among the first type of individuals who need to adapt to novelty and understand arriving trends.
If you like staying informed about future trends in finance, education, etc., you’re likely curious about how blockchain and the metaverse can impact the education system. Keep reading to find out more.
Photo source: https://unsplash.com/photos/Hbpqkm2psNA
A Quick Introduction to Metaverse
A “metaverse” is a network of three-dimensional virtual worlds focused on social interaction. It offers areas for rich user interaction that resemble the actual world. It’s frequently portrayed in SF as a potential iteration of the internet as a single, universal digital world made possible by using augmented and virtual reality headsets.
Generally, the metaverse is seen as a graphically rich digital space where people can socialise, shop, work, and play. It is a highly interactive 3D virtual world in which users may engage in a “second digital existence” with digital avatars and explore virtual settings while engaging with others.
Metaverse Opportunities for Education
Future education technology will alter learning by giving students and teachers new, valuable tools. The epidemic, although sad, brought about significant opportunities for educational digitalisation.
The metaverse can bridge the gap between the real and digital worlds using the following:
- Virtual Reality (VR)
- Augmented Reality (AR)
- Blockchain technology.
As a result, it may provide limitless uses and solutions. One example of a metaverse application is its role in the future of education.
The ever-evolving digital possibilities combined with the remote competencies of technology can disrupt school learning to a great extent. The metaverse demands developing new technologies for its implementation, ranging from entirely digital events with students to virtual tours.
By delivering immersive and engaging experiences, metaverse tours may help students develop and improve their learning beyond classroom environments while encouraging cultural variety.
How Metaverse Benefits Education
From giving a campus tour to providing study materials, the metaverse can make education affordable for students and universities. With colleges and universities facing all sorts of budget constraints and challenges in establishing physical study resources, the inclusion of the metaverse can offer essential study materials.
With virtual reality in action, scavenging for resources and courses is simple for both professors and students since there is no limit to what can be found on the internet. For example, medical colleges worldwide have constructed virtual reality laboratories that allow students to examine a human heart in real-time via the metaverse.
Here are other benefits to the metaverse that education can enjoy in the future:
- Expands imagination. The multi-purpose metaverse world can give everyone the joy of understanding things in an innovative 3D world beyond the reach of the internet. Transporting in a completely different land can propel their imagination. Metaverse can also make it easier for people who don’t want to compromise on anything to gain knowledge and for specially-abled children to learn and have a career.
- Helps improve students’ performance. Students who participated in VR-enabled courses learned four times faster than in a classroom environment, according to research conducted by PwC. The ability to offer the needed topic in an integrated and enhanced manner is among the top benefits of using the metaverse in the educational system. This way, the world can see step-by-step instructions to illustrate the tasks.
- Making virtual interactions real. Metaverse’s emergence brought about the advantage of presenting thoughts, ideas, and subjects virtually in a seemingly real manner. Unlike the internet, which allows the exchange of chats, documents, and emails, the metaverse facilitates boundless teacher-student interactions and mutual understanding.
A quick introduction to blockchain
Blockchain technology, like the metaverse, can serve as a valuable educational resource in the learning process, allowing teachers to publish content openly and track any reuse without limiting the original material. Agreements of automatic transfer of credits can take the form of smart-contracts thanks to blockchain. Universities have traditionally controlled and owned student data, forcing students to rely on institutions to share and access their academic achievements. Nowadays, students may have total ownership of their records, owing to blockchain technology.
A good example is diplomas. They’ve emerged as the most powerful examples of how blockchain can be put to good use regarding the educational system. Before the creation of the online version, diplomas were physically stored. But nowadays, blockchain’s significance in education can extend beyond record keeping. The technology has the ability to revolutionise the management of the university and school curricula, offering secure storage capabilities for coursework and digital syllabi.
How Blockchain Benefits Education
Blockchain can bring several notable opportunities to the table. It protects digital data and prevents counterfeiting, making it an excellent tool for validating changes and updates, tracking ownership, and authenticating users.
Besides enhancing efficiency and security, this innovative technology can also help lower unnecessary expenses. How? By reducing the number of paper-based transcripts, helping with the verification of course records, and reducing administrative fees.
Smart contracts and teachers
Blockchain could also ease educators’ jobs through the smart contract – a contract made up of lines of code written into a blockchain that are executed automatically when specific conditions are met.
Developing nations like India can take advantage of smart contracts, lowering educational costs to some degree. Managing student tuition payments is a time- and money-consuming procedure involving many stakeholders, like the following:
- Federal and state organisations
- Private loan companies
- Scholarship foundations.
All in all, the metaverse and blockchain can bring new approaches to streamlining education. Will you support innovative practices when they’re brought to life?
- What Are the Pros and Cons of Elearning for Students?
- Technological inventions : the best of 2022
- What does the Future of Gaming Look Like?
- How Social Media is Changing Education
- 9 Habits of Successful Students
- How to Leverage Technology in Education?
- Why Augmented Reality Technology is changing the World of Gambling
- Why Schools Must Improve Holocaust Education