Yes, Costco will drug test those applying for a job there.
With more than 800 stores Costco has a great reputation due to competitive employee salaries and a healthy work environment.
Costco operates a strict drug and alcohol-free policy which means usage, sale, and distribution of the drug in the workplace is completely prohibited.
But does Costco really drug test their employees and those who want to apply for a job there? To make it easy for you, we are sharing information. So, you can go ahead and find the required answer.
Does Costco Drug Test in 2021?
If you are thinking of getting a job at Costco and wondering about their drug test then let us tell you directly- yes, Costco does drug tests.
For whatever position or job role you’re applying for, Costco will test you for illicit substances.
This is a part of their pre-employment and orientation process. Only when you have a negative test report, you will be offered a job at Costco.
Costco has a long and detailed policy explaining its strict alcohol and drug-free policy. According to their policy, it is mandatory for all finalized applicants to undergo a drug test.
What Kind of Drug Test Does Costco Do?
Typically, Costco opts for mouth swab drug tests. Swab tests are performed because they are quick and easy. Oral fluid is taken under observation and you will get the results back in a few days.
However, drugs can only be detected from five to 48 hours with a swab test. You will refrain from drinking or eating any sort of food 10 minutes prior to your drug tests. If a mouth swab test doesn’t work due to any reason, you will be asked for a urine test.
The positive results of the drug test are very important if you want to get hired at Costco. Also, if you are taking any prescribed medication, make sure you inform the hiring manager before you undergo a drug test.
Does Costco Drug Test During the Hiring Process?
Yes, it is mandatory for all potential applicants to undergo a drug test before any formal contracts are made or a final offer is provided.
However, the drug test is not a part of the first round of interviews. Once an employee passes all rounds, he will be asked for a drug test on the same day.
When Does Costco Drug Test its Current Employees?
Costco holds a right to ask any of its current employees for a drug test. Costco will conduct drug and alcohol testing for the current employees in the following situations:
Reasonable Suspicion Testing
Reasonable Testing happens when a manager has ‘reasonable suspects’ or ‘specific facts’ that an employee is taking or under the influence of any drug or illicit substance while working on the workspace, using the company’s vehicle or machinery, etc.
Post Accidental Testing
Post-accidental testing happens when a company believes that an employee has caused an accident that damaged the company’s property, equipment, machinery, or vehicle under the influence of the drugs. It is mandatory for the employees to inform their managers after an accident.
Returning to Duty or Follow Up Testing
Any employee who has signed a contract for continued employment and has gone through drug evaluation will only be permitted to return to the work after a mandatory drug test. The company holds the right to test you any time they want for the next couple of years.
What Does Costco Drug Test For?
Costco uses a simple oral test to screen the following types of drugs-
Costco may also test you for other illicit drugs that are not mentioned in the list. The reason behind Costco’s drug is to ensure a safe and healthy workplace for all of its employees and customers.
Consequences of Costco Drug Testing
- Applicants who have refused to undergo Costco’s drug test will not be hired at any cost. They will need to wait for another year to apply at Costco again.
- An applicant who is tested positive after a drug test will not be hired and his offer will be void.
- Employees who refused to undergo Costco’s drug test will be terminated immediately.
- Employees who are tested positive after a drug test will be terminated and will be subject to appropriate disciplinary actions.
How Does Costco Drug Test?
The oral drug test is a quick and straightforward test. The test collects oral fluid from the mouth of the employee. It is performed under direct observation to reduce the chances of adulteration.
- Each applicant/ employee will be asked to sign a consent form to authorize a drug test.
- Applicant/ employee will be then sent to the company’s designated testing lab.
- The certified collector will collect the saliva from the applicant’s mouth.
- The collected sample will then be sent for a drug screening.
- If the results are negative, the employee will be informed that he has the test.
- If the results are positive, a second method called gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy will be used to confirm the presence of drugs.
How to Pass the Costco Drug Test?
Unlike other companies that undertake urine sample drug testing, Costco’s drug test policy requires you to submit a saliva test. This test is easier to pass than the urine test. Just make sure you stop taking drugs or smoking at least 10 days before your treatment. Along with that, you can also try the following things to increase your chances of passing the drug test.
- Brush your teeth properly especially under your gums, tongue, and on the inside of your cheeks.
- Swirl your mouth with a mouthwash.
- Use the Toxin Rid Rescue wash to mask the toxins in your mouth.
- Chew a saliva detox gum.
Final Thoughts: Does Costco Drug Test?
Costco has strict alcohol and drug-free policy to ensure a safe and healthy workspace. It is mandatory for all potential employees to undertake a drug test during their interviews. If any applicant or employee denies undergoing a drug test, it could result in loss of job.
So, be prepared for a saliva drug test if you are going to apply for a job at Costco or make sure you don’t take any drug after you’re hired as Costco can randomly conduct a drug test for its employees.
- Does UPS Drug Test?
- Does Target Drug Test?
- Does Walmart Drug Test?
- How is drug testing conducted and how accurate is it?
- Does McDonald’s Drug Test?
- Does FedEx Drug Test?
- Does Planet Fitness Drug Test?
- How to Make Sure You Don’t Fail a Drug Test
- How Long Does Adderall Stay In Your System?
About the author
Johnny is dedicated to providing useful information on commonly asked questions on the internet. He is thankful for your support ♥