If you like to wear shoes with open toes in the summer, you probably want your toenails to look good. Still, it’s not just about how it looks. Onychomycosis, which is another name for a fungal illness of the toenails, won’t go away on its own. If you don’t treat them, the fungus can spread and hurt your nails in the long run.
If you have trouble getting blood to your feet, it’s even more important to take care of your toes. According to experts, poor blood flow can slow healing. Plus, a cut could cause a fungal skin infection, and if the skin breaks down, it could lead to a bacterial infection.
The problem is that most fungal diseases of the toenails don’t hurt, so people don’t know they have a problem unless they check their feet regularly.
The section here will talk about all the nuts and bolts of the possible reasons for superficial toenail fungus. So, make sure to skim through till the end!
- Start by washing your feet with lukewarm water and light soap. Make sure to clean under your nails and between your toes. This helps get rid of grime, sweat, and germs. After you wash your feet, pat them dry well, paying special attention to the places between your toes because moisture can cause fungal infections.
- Don’t round the ends of your toenails when you cut them. Instead, cut them straight across. This method keeps your toenails from growing into the skin and makes sure the nail doesn’t go past the tip of your toe. Proper care of the toenails is important to protect the sensitive skin underneath.
- Choose shoes that fit your feet well and let them breathe. Feet can get blisters, bunions, and corns from shoes that are too tight or don’t have enough room. Well-fitting shoes should have plenty of room for your toes and support for your back.
- Feet can sweat, especially when they are in tight shoes. If your feet get wet, put on a new pair of socks as soon as you can. Moisture can make it easy for germs to grow, which can cause problems like athlete’s foot. Socks that pull wetness away from your feet can help keep your feet dry.
- If you want to stop fungi from growing even more, you could use an antifungal spray that you can buy at a store. Fungi can grow easily in the warm, moist environment inside your shoes. Treating your shoes regularly can help keep you from getting fungal diseases.
- It’s a good idea to wear shower shoes or flip-flops in places where people often walk barefoot, like locker rooms, community showers, and pool areas. This simple step makes it less likely that you will get an infection or come in touch with harmful bacteria that thrive in these places.
- If you use nail scissors and other pedicure tools, it’s important to keep them clean and sanitized. After each use, wash these tools well with soap and water, and if you can, sanitize them as well. This helps stop the spread of illnesses caused by bacteria and fungi.
Here are a few of the possible treatments associated with White Superficial Toenail Fungus.
Light treatment, also called Photodynamic treatment (PDT), is a relatively new way to treat toenail fungus. It involves putting a substance on the damaged nail that makes it sensitive to light (called a “photosensitizer”) and then exposing it to specific wavelengths of light, usually from a laser or LED source.
When light hits the photosensitizer, it reacts with it to make reactive oxygen species, which go after and kill fungus cells while leaving healthy tissue alone. Light therapy is a non-invasive option to drugs, and it may work faster and have fewer side effects. But it might not be easy to get and might take more than one time.
These over-the-counter (OTC) products usually come in the form of creams, gels, or nail polish. They have chemicals that kill fungi, like terbinafine or ciclopirox. The directions for using the medicine may say to clean the damaged nail, file it down if necessary, and then put the medicine on the nail. These items work because they go straight for the nail fungus.
Over-the-counter (OTC) topical antifungal medicines are easy to find and use. They are a good place to start for light cases of white toenail fungus on the surface.
A healthcare provider may recommend oral antifungal medications if the infection is severe or if topical treatments don’t work. Terbinafine and itraconazole are two common choices. These drugs work throughout the body, so they get to the bacteria through the bloodstream.
Antifungal medicines that you take by mouth can be very effective, especially for problems that don’t go away easily. But they might have side effects that need to be watched by a medical worker.
This is a medical treatment that is usually done by a podiatrist or dermatologist. During the process, special tools are used to physically remove the thickened and infected nail material.
This makes it possible for topical antifungal medicines to work better.
Benefits: Nail debridement can give you instant relief by making your nails thinner and making topical treatments work better.
Now, after binging through this blog, you should now have a crystal clear concept on the ways you can pretend White Superficial Toenail Fungus for good. Well, there are tens of treatments you can take in your checklist, however, till date, red light therapy is one of the most effective treatments of all time. However, ensure that you consult with an expert seller first before taking any light therapy devices.